Lock Bumping is the art of opening a lock with a modified key.. A properly skilled lock bumper can open a door in UNDER 10 SECONDS! The most intriguing part is a bump key can actually be bought online.
Lock Bumping Problem Back to top
- Lock Bumping - Information
- Lock Bumping - History
- Lock Bumping - Key (bump key)
- Lock Bumping - Prevent
- Lock Bumping - News Reports
- Lock Bumping - Bump Key
- Bump keys are so easily operated an 11 year old girl can 'bump locks'.
- Vast majority of locks in the United States are susceptible to lock bumping.
- Bump Keys can be made from ordinary keys from around the house or one could buy a bump key
- Standard locks, like the ones on your home, are easily bump able.
- Often no damage is left to a bumped lock, making it difficult to tell if a lock has been compromised.
- This technique exploded in popularity after a lock bumping video appeared online.
- Contrary to popular belief, some 'high security' locks are actually easier to bump.
- It has been wrongly reported that 'WD40 will make a lock un-bumpable This is a total fallacy!! It is strongly discouraged putting any type of lubricant in a lock if the purpose is to 'prevent lock bumping'. Lubricating a lock makes it easier to bump!
- Lock Bumping was developed within the last 50 years.
- A patent exists for a device using a similar principle as a bump key from the 1920's
- It is accepted by some that this technique was brought 'back to life' by Danish locksmiths in the 1970's. These locksmiths reported that they could make pin tumblers in a lock 'jump' up causing the lock to open.
- It was only recently, in 2005, when a Nova news reportblew the door open on bump keys.
With the advent of the bump key, a wide variety of people should be worried; whether you're a home owner or a business owner using a pin tumbler lock will provide a false sense of security.
There are only a few steps to lock bumping:
- Locate a key blank (or a spare key) for the lock you'd like to bump. If the key fits in the lock, there's a good chance it will work for our purpose.
- File down the valleys of the key to look like the picture above. You'll want to file the key down to the deepest valley setting. Note: if the key already has a deep valley it might be necessary to file a bit deeper than the the deepest factory setting.
- If you are unable to make your own key you can buy a bump key or visit a bump key forum for assistance.
- Once the key is filed correctly, insert the key and then pull it back one 'click'.
- Apply very little tension to the key. The amount of tension required is equal to the amount of tension required to open the lock.
- Buy and install high security locks such as Medeco and Schlage Primus.
- Use electronic locks that do utilize the pin tumbler method for security.
- Installation of an alarm system that utilizes a battery back up system.
- Install bright lighting on the exterior of your home. If power consumption is a worry, try motion activated outdoor lights as this will significantly cut power usage.
- If you have a dog, consider keeping it inside as this might scare off potential burglars.
- KHNL HI - Dangerous Trend Targeting Homes
- DALAS - 'Bump Key' tool all burglars need to stroll in
- LOCAL10 FL - Burglars Can Use Key To Open Almost Any Door
- WikiPedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping